Sunday, June 21, 2015

Cajun Roux Peas

I learned to make this dish at my first cooking class.  This has my favorite side dish to make ever since.  Every time I make it I say, "The Malone house is smelling like New Orleans!"  All  of my friends and my daughter love my Cajun Roux Peas.  I hope it will become one of your favorites, too!


Cajun Roux Peas
8 oz. Andouille sausage, quartered and chopped
1 c. diced onion
1/2 c. chopped green onion
3/4 c. diced red bell pepper
3/4 c. diced celery
1/4 c. minced garlic
2 Tbsp flour
2 to 3 c. chicken stock
2 lb. field peas with snaps
sea salt, to taste
white pepper, to taste

Over medium heat, in a large pot, cook Andouille sausage, onion, green onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic until vegetables are done.  Add flour and stir for 5 minutes.  Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.  Add field peas with snaps and stir well.  Bring to a second boil and stir.  Put a lid on the pot, and reduce heat to a simmer.  Cook until peas are tender.  Season with sea salt and white pepper.  


No comments:

Post a Comment